[Imc-newsroom] (no subject)

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Fri Sep 1 11:38:11 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES ­September 1, 2006
Learn more about 'social media' . . .

>> RAGAN'S STRATEGIC PUBLIC RELATIONS CONFERENCE ­ September 20-22 <<

What is social media? It includes tools like blogs, RSS feeds and podcasts, which are helping organizations like ours carry on a conversation with constituents, funders, board members, media and the public at large. These tools are having a profound impact on the practice‹and the cost‹of doing effective public relations.

Social media is a focus of Ragan Communications' Strategic Public Relations Conference, and the Community Media Workshop is pleased to be the exclusive sponsor of the event's nonprofit track. The Workshop's  sponsorship allows our friends and colleagues to attend this two-day training event for just $695‹that's $300 off the regular registration fee. Use Preferred Customer Code 608CME to receive the discount.  Register and learn more about the conference at http://www.ragan.com.

The nonprofit track features sessions on being a good spokesman, handling crises, developing your key messages, improving your Web site and others.  You're not limited to the nonprofit track. You can attend sessions in any of the four tracks. Build your own training based on your particular needs and interests.  The Workshop's Gordon Mayer will be leading a three-hour workshop specifically designed to help nonprofits pitch their stories during one of the pre-conference seminars.

Have more than one person who should attend the conference? Call the Ragan folks at 800.493.4867 and ask about further discounts.  The conference will be at the Knickerbocker Hotel in Chicago.

Coming up at the Workshop . . .

>>POWER PITCHING ­ October 9 <<

This workshop kicks off our fall series of media and communication training opportunities, a good one for anyone wanting to sharpen his/her skills.  The phone call is critical to making the news. A concise pitch call ‹ followed by a short fax that puts an edge on your story ‹ usually works better and faster than an elegantly worded news release. Workshop participants will learn how and when to make that call and practice doing it in a fun and interactive session.  Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=52 .

>> PROFESSIONAL MEDIA RELATIONS ­ starts October 20 <<

Participants in this intensive five-week course specifically for nonprofit communicators plan media campaigns around one of their own stories while learning basic public relations skills such as how to:
€ Develop a media strategy
€ Pitch stories to journalists
€ Plan media events
€ Handle a broadcast interview

The trainers are Thom Clark, Gordon Mayer and others, including journalists.  Fee includes one copy per organization of Spin Works, a basic media-relations textbook, and one copy of "Getting on the Air and Into Print 2007", the Workshop's guide to more than 3,500 journalists covering the Midwest.  Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1 .

In case you missed Making Media Connections 2006 . . .

>> FREE-RANGE THINKING <<

Distributed at the Workshop's June conference, "free-range thinking" is a monthly journal of communications best practices and resources for public interest groups, foundations and progressive businesses that want to reach more people more effectively. Free printed copies are available via U.S. mail only to employees of nonprofits and foundations through http://www.agoodmanonline.com/publications/index.html.

Learn about other resources offered at Making Media Connections at http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW .

>> MEDIA GUIDE 2007 ALMOST DONE <<

We are finishing up the next edition of "Getting On  The Air & Into Print" this and next week.  Anyone you want to make sure we've not forgotten to include?  We are boasting this year that we list ten percent more journalists and have enhanced the listings for Springfield bureaus and community press.  Because it need to be done--and because Media Success' Alissa Krinsky asked for it--we also have more email addresses for broadcasters. We aim to be of service to our subscribers. If you have found new information for a journalist or outlet that was not included last time, bring it on.  Send it to Karen Kring at karen at newstips.org.

You can purchase the new guide at the pre-publication rate online next week at http://www.newstips.org/cart/. The digital 2006 guide is available now.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists, educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers, sources and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback, karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the subject line.