[Imc-newsroom] Rich Whitney Details Plan for Clean Government

Whitney for Governor communicationsdirector at whitneyforgov.org
Tue Sep 26 23:38:40 CDT 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – September 26, 2006

RICH WHITNEY DETAILS PLAN FOR CLEAN GOVERNMENT

CONTACT:
Jennifer Rose, Campaign Manager
Whitney for Governor, whitneyforgov.org
campaignmanager at whitneyforgov.org
618-528-VOTE

Tim Tacker, Communications Director
Whitney for Governor, whitneyforgov.org
communicationsdirector at whitneyforgov.org
815-735-6139

Patrick Kelly, Media Coordinator
Illinois Green Party, ilgp.org
773-203-9631

Rich Whitney, the Green Party's candidate for Illinois Governor, unveiled a
comprehensive ethics plan for clean government in Illinois, at the State
Capitol on Monday.

Speaking to members of the media, Whitney indicated that Illinois has a
poor reputation as being a haven for crooked politicians, and a Wild West
for campaign spending, buying candidates and buying favors, and illegal job
patronage.

Included in the plan is a ban on campaign contributions from state
contractors, their owners and officers -- and barring the awarding of
contracts to any company whose owners or officers had made such a
contribution to an incumbent.  Also included is a complete ban on corporate
campaign contributions in Illinois.

"Our Party and our campaign have already been setting a good example by
refusing corporate campaign contributions as a matter of principle," said
Rich Whitney.

Other features of the plan include capping individual campaign
contributions to $500 per candidate per campaign, and the establishment of
an independent hiring and promotion bureau.

"I also promise to appoint an Inspector General from an opposition party,
to prevent and root out illegal job patronage and help remove the cloud of
corruption over our State," said Rich Whitney.

###