[Imc-radio] high school j-conference

David Porreca dporreca at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 1 00:27:08 CDT 2003

--

Hi everyone,

Clint Popetz may have already talked to you about this. I teach
journalism at University High School in Urbana. I'm also director of
the Illinois State High School Press Association, which basically
means I organize our annual fall conference for high school
journalism students.

This year's conference will be held Friday, Oct. 3, at the Illini
Union. The conference consists of approximately 40 sessions spread
out over three 50-minute timeslots, plus lunch and a keynote speech.
We usually attract 400 to 500 students from around the state.

I would love to offer a number of sessions about independent media,
including at least one panel session featuring representatives from
Urbana-Champaign and Chicago. Daniel Sinker, editor of Punk Planet,
and several other members of the Chicago Independent Press
Association will be coming down to speak at the conference. It would
be great to have UCIMC represented as well! I'm especially interested
in sessions that have a strong DIY bent. I'd really like students to
come away from the conference excited about expressing themselves in
their own voices regardless of the medium -- print, radio, video, the
Web, etc. Would any of you be interested in giving sessions along
those lines or participating in a panel discussion? If so, I'll get
back in touch with you concerning session times, parking
arrangements, and other details.

A couple of other things real quick.

1) Although we can't afford to pay speakers, we do offer free campus
parking if you're going to arrive by car. We also have an advisers
luncheon that all speakers are welcome to attend for free. Let me
know if you'd like to take advantage of either of these perks.  :)

2) The people at the Illini Union are great about providing
audiovisual equipment. Let me know if you need anything along the
lines of a VCR, overhead projector, computer display equipment, etc.

Thank you so much for considering this invitation.

David Porreca
University of Illinois Laboratory High School
1212 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 244-8578