[Imc-radio] 3/10 show rundown

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Fri Mar 7 10:11:09 CST 2003

Hi all,

	No one came to the meeting, so here's a rundown for Monday's
show.  Kevin is coordinating headlines; those with headlines can send
them to this list.  We have two segments:

	(1) A piece on Patch Adams from Valerie Sivicek and Paul
	Kotheimer.  Estimated length: 10-12 minutes.

	(2) A piece on the Death Penalty Panel from Bijon Warner.
	Estimated length: around 8 minutes.

The third planned segment is postponed a bit.  Val & Paul, if you
would like to take up to 14 minutes, there is room.

Stories on the horizon include:

(a) Ondine Gross is interviewing Alan Potash, Director of Hillel, as
well as three AWARE activists, investigating the issue of
anti-semitism.  This should air next week.

(b) Janet Lowry is doing a piece on new faces and important issues in
the upcoming local elections.  This piece is 2-3 weeks out.

(c) Recently a reporter from WDWS attended the North Prospect protests
and conducted interviews, which were later heavily edited to reflect
negatively on the protesters, and aired on the Brant Hansen Show.  The
reporter (Chris Evans, show has joined our list and may contribute
stories in the future that can't get aired on WDWS) provided me with
minidiscs both of the raw audio from his interviews, his produced
piece, and a recording of what Brant actually aired.  This would make
a _wonderful_ media studies expose, and if someone wants to produce it :)

(c) I am visiting BOAST academy next Friday to interview the teachers
and students about the program.  This is an after school program (see
http://www.life.uiuc.edu/boast1/components/afterschool.html) at
Kenwood Elementary, providing hands-on explorative learning.  If
someone would like to accompany me and conduct interviews, or would
like to produce the piece, let me know.  Those present must actually
work with the kids though; there are no passive observers in the BOAST
classroom, Bobbi tells me.

(d) Walter Matherly has audio from his trip to Spain, where he marched
in several enormous protests.  This will be an "anti-war sentiment in
Europe" piece, probably airing in 3-4 weeks.

(e) I am going to be running a "what is news?" series of classes in my
daughter's kindergarten class in about a month.  This will involve
teaching them about how news is made, with an emphasis on getting them
to recognize bias, that the same news event can be covered in many
different ways.  I will also be interviewing them on their current
unit of study, which is african-american civil rights leaders (MLK, Rosa
Parks, etc.)  Finally, I will be helping them interview each other on
the same topic.  This is probably 2 months away from being produced.

I would also like someone to do a story on the "Medical Debt" study
just released by CCHCC:

	http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/9939

And of course, if we go to war, we'll have a piece on local response.

Other story ideas?  Mail 'em to the list!

			-Clint

--
Clint Popetz  		         Home:  217-398-4186
  Urbana-Champaign               IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center     Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator	 USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820