[Imc-radio] Response to Anti-Semitism interview

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 25 14:19:26 CST 2003

Unfortunately, I did not have the correct e-mail address for the IMC
Radio group until now. So I originally sent this response to Clint
and asked him to forward it to the group.  I am now sending it again
in its entirety just in case you haven't seen it before in its
original form (not just Clint's extracts and his responses).  I ask
that the entire Radio Group consider what I wrote below and respond.
I would be happy to meet with you, and I expect David Green would
also like to do that.  Thanks for engaging this discussion.

To the IMC Radio Group:

I imagine you have all heard about the controversy about the
anti-Semitism segment that aired on the IMC radio program tonight.
You have probably heard how angry I was about the way it was
conducted and about the assumptions behind the interview.
Fortunately, I was able to restrain myself from writing anything
immediately, and I have now calmed down. It  would be good if you
would read what I have to say and discuss it at one of your meetings.

I had a long talk with David Green tonight, but unfortunately he was
not able to listen to the radio tonight.  He will get the program off
the website.  I am also sending this message to David, and I am sure
that both of us would be interested in further discussing these
issues with your group at one of your meetings or in some other way.

You may know that I have advocated more news and public affairs shows
on WEFT for a long time. I arranged an alternative media day a couple
of years ago (with Bob McChesney's help) at the IMC where we brought
down folks from Madison to tell us how they did it good.  I hope some
of you were involved in that discussion.  WEFT has made some progress
since then, and the IMC has certainly helped push the station in a
better direction.  You will see some further brief comments on this
in my short piece in the upcoming Public i.  I addressed the need for
more emphasis on "alternative" as well as "community" radio.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I wanted you to know that I have
thought a lot about these issues.  I have always liked the
introduction to the IMC radio program.  It makes the point very well
that this program provides progressive alternative as well as
community viewpoints.  One speaker goes as far as advocating
revolution and one speaker notes the spectrum of ideas from "the top
to the bottom."  Of course, this implies that the ideas from "the
top" are mainstream corporate media and the ideas from "the bottom"
are alternative viewpoints.  Because of my work schedule, I have not
been able to listen to the program as often as I would like, but
every time I have listened to it I have been happy to hear
alternative progressive viewpoints.

When I was asked to be interviewed for the anti-Semitism piece, I
naturally assumed that there would be a progressive interviewer and
that there would be an easy camaraderie and style in doing it.  In
fact, I had recently been interviewed by Amy Goodman at a meeting of
the American Library Association a couple of weeks before the IMC
interview.  She hasn't aired that yet, and I don't know if she will.
She interviewed several of us about pressing issues including the USA
Patriot Act, a resolution we had put forward against the Iraq war,
and the work we had been doing to try to  halt the destruction of
Palestinian libraries, archives and records.  I sat and talked with
Amy for some time before the interview about what issues she would
raise and how we would do the interview.  So there were no surprises,
and I felt exceedingly good about the way it came off.  I think I
must have unconsciously thought this would be a similar experience.
To my and David's great surprise, Ondine Gross did not follow Amy's
method.  She refused to tell us the questions before we started.
Ondine's first words made it clear that we were not going to agree on
the topic at hand. Clint was doing the engineering, and he made it
clear to us that he never said that we would be likeminded in his
initial message asking us to do the interview.  So we started out
with a great deal of tension, or let me say anger.  At that point I
almost walked out but I decided not to leave David there alone in the
lurch.  Whether or not this is justified, I felt that I had been
mislead, and I didn't appreciate it.

After the disagreement became clear I said that my main point was
going to be that criticizing Israel was not the same as
anti-Semitism. It seems that Ondine refused to hear that. In my
opinion, the point of the segment should have been to address the
context of the anti-Semitism discussion. It is impossible to address
anti-Semitism in the context of the peace movement unless one
explains how the worldwide progressive movement, including in the US,
recognizes the oppression of the Palestinian people and the need for
a just peace in the Middle East.  And it is critical to address full
US government support for all Israeli governments to the tune of
billions of dollars per year to fund this oppression.  We must be
able to explain that the problem begins in Washington and that we
must change US foreign policy towards Israel in order to change the
actions of the Israeli Government, and finally have a chance for a
just solution for the Palestinian people.  It is only from this
context, that we can describe how criticism of the government of
Israel is not anti-Semitic.  And furthermore, criticizing these
policies is not even anti-Israel because only a just settlement will
secure the quality of life of all the people who live in Israel.  It
is in fact pro-Israel to demand a just peace, and there is an Israeli
peace movement that does just that. I support the Israeli peace
movement whose members are recently finding themselves in jail more
often.  The major problem with the interview was that none of this
got expressed!

The interview went well over an hour, and I think David talked for
more than half the time about the history of Israel and Palestine and
the policies of the various governments.  None of this got on the
air.  Ondine was not able to understand the critical need for this
background information and the necessity of laying out the context of
the discussion.

There are a couple of smaller points about the way the piece actually
aired that I also want to mention. Alan Potash noted the virulent
anti-Semitic letter in the Daily Illini this year.  It would have
been nice if Ondine had also noted that I had said that the DI had no
idea of responsible journalism and that they should never had printed
that letter.  I had told her that I wrote a letter in response to it
that was rejected by the DI editors.

The second point is more serious.  Ondine reads off a number of
clearly anti-Semitic slogans found at anti-war demonstrations and
then says that she wanted David and me to say that they had no place
in the peace movement.  If she would have clearly asked us that
question, we would have agreed with her.  I think this is a cheap
shot.  Perhaps it was the adversarial nature of the interview that
got in the way of asking clear questions and understanding the nature
of the answers.  Instead of asking short clear questions, Ondine read
long statements with all sorts of aspects that could have been
addressed.  David and I found that technique untenable.  After one
such long statement, I remember David and I looking at each other in
frustration and then David saying that it was difficult to know where
to start.

So from my point of view, there was plenty wrong with this interview.
Maybe you can discuss groundrules for future projects.  I would hope
you would try to emulate Amy Goodman's approach. Furthermore, I hope
that you will pick interviewers who better understand the context of
the issues being discussed, from a point-of-view from within the
progressive movement.  The reason that Ondine and Alan Potash are
uncomfortable with the anti-war movement and can't find a place
within it is because they don't understand the fundamental criticism
of US policy towards Israel and Israel's policy towards the
Palestinians.  They will only be able to understand the anti-war
movement if they are ready to confront their emotional ties to
Israel.  Only by exposing these policies will they finally realize
that criticizing Israel is not anti-Semitic.

David and I agree that we need another IMC radio program on these
more fundamental issues around US policy towards the Middle East and
Israel's role in the repression of Palestinian life.  We hope you
will agree to do one.

If we get the context right, it will be much easier to address why
there are sometimes anti-Semitic signs at peace rallies (although I
haven't seen one myself).  We could also then address the solutions.
Let me add that Alan Potash's idea of creating a dialog without
changing the fundamental policies is doomed to failure.

Many thanks,

Al Kagan

--

Al Kagan