[Imc-radio] annual report (fwd)

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Apr 2 13:35:44 CST 2004

I will do my best to help pull something together by midnight tonight.
Here is text from our Robeson grant update we can use.

1) Create an audio training series

2) Document production procedures in a Radio Brain Book

3) Create an archive of our work at radio.ucimc.org

4) Schedule one-on-one production trainings

5) Organize mentoring program between producers

6) Outreach to Campus and other IMCs.

7) Diversify production team

8) Build existing relationships with Free Speech Radio News, WILL (Public
Radio), Chicago-IMC, and other regional independent media venues.
Features from our show are being syndicated through online distribution as
rss files: http://www.ucimc.org/features.1-0.rdf
As of last week, WTND-LP 106.3 FM Macomb, Illinois is airing our show
weekly.  Syndication is a significant goal of ours since it can qualify us
for funding previously unavailable, such as monies from community radio
stations through their National Federation of Community Broadcasters
funding.  In addition, Free Speech Radio News has just asked us to produce
a feature on bio-engineered swine sold to meat manufacturers by the
University of Illinois – a breaking story this past week.

9) Fix & buy equipment, and organize production room

10) Research equipment grants

Our third success can be seen in the dramatic increase in participation
and quality of the IMC Radio News show in the mere five weeks since we
hired a Radio News Coordinator.  When the UC-IMC requested the funding, it
was clear to us that our biggest hurdle was making the production process
accessible.  The amount of effort it took to produce a feature was
Herculean.  Those who survived were a handful of young, technically savvy
people who had lots of time on their hands.  This did not meet our goals
of providing ordinary people the ability to produce radio stories, to make
their voices heard.

Last Fall, no more than 4 people were producing for IMC Radio News – all
of them white men in their thirties.  After we hired Clint, we established
outreach and training as his main priorities.  In his first month as Radio
News Coordinator, 15 people produced pieces for the show, 5 of them women,
2 under the age of 18, 4 over the age of 40.  What follows are summaries
of and links to the last three radio shows:

2-03-03
http://ucimc.org/newswire/display/9288
(a) Urbana City Council passes anti-war resolution after three hours of
input
(b) Students stage walk out on Uof I campus opposing war against Iraq
(c) High School students host forum on Conscientious Objection for their
peers
7 Contributors

1-27-03
http://ucimc.org/newswire/display/9084
(a) 100 pack council chambers in a townhall against war
(b) Local activist reflects on joining 300,000 in Washington to protest
war
(c) 2 years of independent media – reflection on an anniversary
8 Contributors

1-20-03
http://ucimc.org/newswire/display/9018
(a) The closing of the CU Cityview and the downturn of independent
weeklies
(b) Celebrating Martin Luther King
(c) Report back from the Washington anti-war protests
7 Contributors

 On