[Imc-radio] activist from honduras coming to CU!

William B. Taylor btaylor at prairienet.org
Fri Jan 16 19:36:23 CST 2004

Hi Danielle-

Well, Carlos doesn't speak English as far
as I know, so if it was live on the air, you'd
lose half the time in translation.  Perhaps
a recorded interview with a voice-over translation
would be more time efficient.  He will be here
Sat., Jan. 24 and thence for about a week.  Last
night I scheduled some events at Channing-Murray.

There will be a Spanish langauge reception on
Sunday, Jan. 25 at Channing-Murray at 4 p.m.,
(followed by a PCP board meeting in English),
and here's a pretty well finished announcement
for a formal talk which will give you a little
background:

Central America's Struggle for Human Rights:
Stories Our Media Would Rather Not Tell

Carlos Euceda of the Confederation of
Aboriginal and Black People of Honduras
(CONPAH)

Channing - Murray Foundation
Oregon and Matthews Streets
Urbana
7:00 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, 2004

The people most adversely affected by the
proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas are
the indigenous people.  Through his work with
CONPAH, Mr. Euceda has worked as advocate for
the eight indigenous and black groups of
Honduras in their increasingly desperate
and deadly struggles to preserve their
livelihoods, languages and cultures.
He has a strong interest in using radio
stations to help maintain the peoples' way
of life.  In addition to CONPAH, Mr. Euceda
has worked with a women's advocacy
organization and has facilitated Pastors
for Peace caravans to Honduras.

The talk will be given in Spanish with
English translation.
There will be an opportunity to talk
informally with Mr. Euceda after his
presentation.

This event is sponsored by:
The Primary Communications Project

I'll do my best to facilitate whatever
the IMC wants to do with Carlos.  He is very
interested in low power radio, so anyone who
is into that could talk one-on-one or in a
small group with me as translator, also if the
IMC network would be into strengthening ties
with the Central American resistance that would
be good as well.

La lucha sigue,    Bill