[Imc-radio] RAdio Group Minutes 7/6/04

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 08:37:13 CDT 2004

RAdio Group Minutes 7/6/04

Please make sure you are signed up for the radio email list at:
http://lists.cu.groogroo.com

attending: Nicky Dyal, Dave Berliner, Laura Bynum, Sandra Ahten (notes)

Introductions and update on pieces being worked on:

Dave: Working on a piece about community diversity. Especially how African
Americans see themselves fitting into the community. Dave may interview
Tracy Parson, Immani Bazzell, Joan Walls. His original scope was to compare/
contrast NAACP and Urbana League. He had veered away from that but may go
back to it as it was agreed his piece needed more focus. He is still
planning on having it finished for next weeks show (july 12)

Nicky: Has gathered audio. (taught herself to use our MD player). Her piece
on the Prairie Rivers Network will cover general info on the rivers of
Illinois, species that live there etc... but will also include how
individuals can do things in their own homes/ lives to make a difference in
the quality of the riverways. She needed help getting audio to digital and
then learning the basics of Sound Forge.

Dave volunteered to help her and Laura to observe on Thursday at 11am. Paul
K (by email) volunteered more extensive training and all three want to take
that training also. (Scheduled for Friday at 5:30pm).

Laura: Laura wants to be able to produce a drop in show for WEFT. She and
her friend get together weekly and study the constitution and amendments.
The drop in is going to be a lay persons guide to these. It will be a 5
minute piece. We agreed to help her learn audio and to help her produce a
sample show for her proposal... and we want to be able to air it on the
IMCRN also. The program is going to be called "Sound Bite".

Future show ideas: Headline Ideas:
-IMC float winning third could be headline this week.

be off limits to political groups... thinking of SarahKanouses response in
regards to the Public Square.

-Brady Smith the convicted child molester/ school principle who got a $10
fine... Sandra reported at length on this several weeks back. Dave says that
there was someone at the steering committee meeting who is going to be
putting up a web site of many of John Pilans horrible prosecution
descisions. Anyone know who this is and how Sandra can get in touch with
him?

-Sandra reports on some horrible sentencing happening with regard to a
person selling 'shrooms at a local bar and facing a 40 year sentence. Would
love to get stories of these.

- Nicky brings up the discrepancies between this and the non-arrests on frat
row. Dave talks about the "understanding" between the police and the frat
boys.

- Walmart... anyone know any new developements? Rumors are flying. Faith who
was working at the IMC suggests we ask Danielle or Milton Otto.

- On a national level Dave thinks a headline about death threats to an army
desserter is undercovered.

- Laura asks -- Is Farenheit 9/11 not going to be able to be advertised
after campaigning starts? She is appalled by this.

- Nicky suggest making a story about the American Library Association
Conference held in Florida last week... to highlight how the Patriot act
comes in to play. We decide that we could do a show using this as reference,
perhaps interviewing Leigh Estabrook (using her article she wrote for the
PUblic i, and at the same time introduce "Sound Bite". This might all fit
together.

The meeting breaks up with no firm plans. But we will be together Friday for
training. Maybe we'll have something then??

Sandra