[Imc-radio] mini-disks

dave berliner daveberliner at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 20:59:15 CDT 2004

What I know about Mini-Disks is that, due to Sony's fierce attempts to
enforce music copyrights the format became extremely hard to work with
to actually transfer data from the minidisk player to your home
computer.  This is because the software Sony developed to transfer
files from it's players to your computer used a File Transfer Protocol
that was encrypted to store copyright information.  The result has been
that it is much more difficult to upload files from an MD player to a
computer.

If you want to play a minidisk you have to have access to a minidisk
player, like the ones at weft or the NetMD walkmans that cost about
$100 at Best Buy or Circuit City.

You can transfer minidisks to your computer a few ways.

One way is to input a Minidisks just like you would a cassette tape.
If you have a soundcard in the back of your computer you will need to
find the input on the card and plug the line output (headphone jack) of
a minidisk player into that.  Then you need to start some type of audio
recording software, like soundforge, cooledit or peak and record the
audio.  This is time consuming and if your levels are not correct it
can sound really bad.

Another way is to buy a netmd player and download / install the file
transfer software that comes with it and see if it works.  If you buy
at circuit city you can take it back and they won't hassle you like
best buy.  The problem with the Sony Software that comes with the NetMD
players is that it requires root access to your computer to transfer
files.  This has something to do with the copyright nazis.

At the IMC we transfer MD recordings digitally using an optical cable
from our MD deck to our USB Soundcard and then we edit and upload files
using soundforge.  This, once set up, is a pretty good system, its just
time consuming

There are some alternatives to these two methods, but I would have to
go into much more detail and do a little reading myself.  I've looked
into an open source transfer protocol for MD players but I'm still
trying to figure it out.  This would be a  fast free way to import MD
audio into an open source audio editing software.

Here are a few links if you need better directions.

http://minidisc.ch/
http://www.minidisc.org

Dave