[Imc-radio] Come meet our Guatemalan Coffee Growers! (fwd)

Molly Stentz molly at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 10 19:30:37 CDT 2004

Hi IMC print and radio-sters,

A week from Thursday the Food Co-op will have on hand two members of the
grower's co-op that provides us with our tasty Guatemalan coffee. They
have a slide show which they'll be presenting with beautiful pictures of
their land in the Quetzaltenango region (southwestern) Guatemala. They
will be talking all about coffee: how coffee is grown and produced, as
well as how co-operatives and the fair-trade movement have made an effect
on the economics of coffee production. It is a great opportunity to get
information direct from the source!

We'll also be brewing up some of their coffee for tasting. It should be a
very interesting evening- how often do you get the chance to meet where
your food came from (in the case of import crops)?

More info below!
-Molly

Come Meet Guatemalan Co-op Coffee Growers
Thurs, Sept. 23 6pm
At Common Ground Food Co-op

    Rigoberto Augustin Ramirez and Roberto Ramirez Lainez, members of Santa
Anita la union in Colomba, Guatamala and the source of Common Ground Food
Co-op's Guatemalan coffee will be in Champaign on Thursday, Sept. 23rd.

   Santa Anita is a collective of 33 families growing coffee, bananas, avocadoes
and community on 100 beautiful acres in the pacific coastal mountains of
Guatemala.  They were able to acquire this land as a part of the peace accords
that ended the civil war there 6 years ago.  Previous to becoming coffee
growers, this group fought for indigenous rights and land reform.

Come meet Mr. Ramirez, Mr. Lainez, and Just Coffee coffee roasters as they
share their experiences building alternatives to exploitative market conditions
facing Third World farmers. They'll talk to us about coffee production, show us
slides of their plantations, and answer questions you may have about coffee. We
will also be brewing up some delicious fair-trade coffees for you to try!

Common Ground Food Co-op
610 E. Springfield Avenue * Corner of Wright & Springfield in Champaign
(217) 352-3347