[Imc-radio] County Board and Jail Issues for UCIMC radio news

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 15 19:48:27 CDT 2005

UCIMC Radio News Gatherers,

I am offering to work with one of you to produce stories for UCIMC Radio
News regarding the push by some members of our local justice department to
tear down the downtown jail and add on to the satellite jail and possibly
expand the overall capacity of the jail to house inmates. I.E. Increase the
size and lock up more people.

Did you know an overwhelming majority of people in jail are there awaiting
trial because they can't afford the $100-$500 bail to get released before
their trial?

It is very likely that the issue of "jail expansion" will play a key role in
the county board elections next Aprill AND, there could be a ballot
referendum next April asking voters to approve funding of this possible jail
expansion.

I have been following the issue and have submitted two reports on the UCIMC
website. Feel free to use these reports.

I plan to attend the Democractic Caucus meeting of COunty Board tomorrow
night at 5:30pm at Brookens and the full County Board meeting THursday at
7pm at Brookens.

My proposal to work together is as follows:

You attend the meeting with me and record the audio and pick your key
soundbites.  I can assit in identifying them for you. I write the story for
the IMC website and you use my text for narration for the UCIMC Radio News.
I.E. You record the audio, use my script, and edit the piece together for
radio.  I will record the audio or you can do it.  I don't have a
preference, I just want to get these stories on UCIMC Radio News on WEFT.

The News-Gazette just had two pro-justice department news stories in the
paper this weekend.  They made no mention of talk about possibly expanding
the jail.

This story needs to get out in all possible ways and WEFT is the place where
it could get some airplay.

If you are interested in working with me on this in the way I have described
above or if you have an alternative proposal to my proposal, please email
me.

Thanks,
Kimberlie