[Imc-radio] Re: [Wefta] Public Affairs at WEFT

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 2 10:57:05 CDT 2005

I'm sure that the IMC will be supportive of public affairs programming
in coordination with WEFT, as we've always been. Given the people needed
to cover adequately local events and news and the relatively small size
of our community, avoiding duplication of efforts while consolidating
the resources available will lead to the most productive use of what
resources we have at our disposal.

As people at WEFT are probably aware by now, the IMC Radio News has gone
on hiatus, due to the lack of enough people available to do the work.
Dave Berliner did a good job given the relative lack of support from
others this summer, but it clearly takes more than the energy that any
one person can bring to the table to do this work.

But the core of a good public affairs collective is already present in
our community; it just needs to be brought together. There has been some
talk about folding the IMC Radio News project into WRFU, but there are
also many good reasons to keep it independent to better serve both WEFT
and WRFU, when it goes on the air, that I won't elaborate on here. I am
certain that an initiative to build a viable and sustainable public
affairs collective would be well received by the IMC and WRFU.

Additionally, there are potential grant monies that are available, but
pursuing these will take a functional group to initiate. The IMC has the
space, inclination, and some basic equipment for production; there is
also a small sum available from WEFT's past payments for IMC Radio News
that could be available for additional equipment. In a few months, when
the IMC has moved upstairs and WRFU is on the air, there should be
better studio and production space available.

But all these great ideas will take interested people to make them work.
  Right now, the IMC has its hands full with the renovation of the first
floor and getting WRFU on the air. But there is present locally the germ
of something that could be at least part of what is needed to sustain an
alternative news and public affairs production collective to serve our
community. I am myself too overwhelmed with IMC/RFU projects and grad
school to do much except provide suggestions and networking assistance
for those interested in such a collective. However, I fully agree that
this is something that has tremendous potential to build on the existing
strengths of the community media in our community at WEFT, WRFU and the IMC.
Mike Lehman