[Imc-radio] Re: [IMC-Tech] Where is our portable audio/video equipment?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 10 13:26:43 CST 2006

There is equipment around, but no one to manage it, maintain it, or to remind people who've checked it out that they do need to NOT consider IMC-owned equipment to be on semi-permanent loan to them when others have IMC-related projects  -- which is a priority under existing policy over anyone's convenience.

If you need to have such gear on an ongoing basis, you _need to purchase your own_ or make other arrangements. IMC gear is for temporary loan and should then be returned immediately for others to have access to it. Monopolizing IMC gear is just not fair to the many other members who need it.

I've been meaning to compose an email to remind all working groups of this and to get the equipment back into the IMC for loaning out on a regularly available basis, but this probably won't get done until spring break. However, consider this a prequel.

The IMC Tech group formerly had responsibility for this, but since it was on a long hiatus until recently, no one has been following up on loaned out gear. We need to decide if Tech wants to resume this responsibility or have it spread around to the relevant groups.

When I was at the IMC a week or so ago, someone had returned a MD and placed it on the top shelf of the black equipment locker in the safe. Supposedly, at least one more MD was going to be returned. But as recently as last November, it's been reported that we had as many as 4 MDs around, plus assorted mics, etc to go with, so there should be one or two more MDs out there somewhere.

As for cameras, there is one rather old-style digital camera that should be around. In terms of video gear, I believe that the IMC had one old-style, i.e. bulky, VHS camcorder, but I also think there was an IMC-owned digital camcorder also. I hope that you get a response from the Video group and maybe they'll know more.

Essentially, we don't have a large stock of loaners, even when people do return things on a regular basis, making it all the more important that when people do borrow equipment, they get it back in a timely manner so that others have acces to it.

There is supposed to be some funding available in the now-defunct IMC Radio group that was dedicated to buying new audio gear. Perhaps you or Stephane can check to see what funds are listed under Radio in Quickbooks. Other than that, we'll need a grant to come through (Burnell recently applied for one) or we need to do some fundraising for this.

In the meantime, if you do have IMC-owned gear, please remember you NEED TO RETURN IT!

Or at the very least, reply to this message and let us know when you plan on returning it, as your holding it is discouraging the participation of new members in Indymedia, which is what this organization is all about.

Thank you in advance for taking immediate action to help our members make media.
Mike Lehman