[Imc-tech] Tech setup

Zachary Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Fri Oct 27 05:36:55 CDT 2000

Alright I have configured a whole bunch of stuff on my server.

User accounts:

I created an account on my server for Molly. Arun and Paul R. already
have account. I will mail Molly's password to her separately so its
not in the public archives of this list. If Arun or Paul have
forgotten their passwords just let me know and I'll set new ones.

For now the only way to log into your account is via SSH. If you need
help obtaining an SSH client let me know. Free ssh clients exist for
Unix, Mac, and Windows.

All these accounts are in group "imc" which has write access to all
appropriate files. If you need me to tweak permissions on something
just let me know.

I also created a user ucimc which may or may not be useful. Let me
know if it is.

All of these users are superusers for postgresql which is convenient
but not the best security practive. Once we get things up and running
we'll tighten up security a lot.

Web Directory:

Once you log in the relevent web directory for all IMC stuff is
/var/www/imc/

This directory has been enabled for PHP3, server parsed HTML, and CGI
scripts.

This directory is currently served at the following URL:
http://imc.cu.groogroo.com/

PHP3:

I installed PHP3 but not PHP4. The active software uses PHP3 but some
newer IMC modified version may use PHP4. Let me know if I need to
upgrade.

PostgreSQL:

I setup the above mentioned accounts as postgresql superusers. I
created a ucimc database. You can run this command to poke around in
the database (be careful):
psql ucimc

MySQL:

This is not used by the default active software but some newer IMC
modifications may use it so I set it up just in case. You can access this with the command (be careful):
mysql --user=ucimc ucimc

Active Software:

I untarred the active software package in the /var/www/imc directory
and renamed it to "active". It seems to work in the sense that a page
comes up when you visit:
http://imc.cu.groogroo.com/active/

I made some minor edits to active/local/db-setup.php3 and it seems
like the software actually can add stuff to the calendar, I haven't
verified whether stuff is happening in the database or if this uses
files or what. I think its just in files and that the database stuff
isn't properly configured (the password is the main thing that I
didn't set).

This stuff doesn't have _any_ of the IMC changes. Someone has to get
some IMC customization stuff from the IMC CVS server. I'm not at all
sure how to go about this.

FTP Server:

I have proftpd software running but not configured for anything but
access to user's home directories. It is highly configurable, just
tell me if I need to set something up that you want.

I leave it entirely up to you guys (mainly Molly) to make this into a
thing of beauty and wonder. I really can't do anything on it for
a while. I can help with any "hard" problems though.

Things to do:

Read over imc-tech archives and contact IMC people to figure out how
to get CVS files for IMC's version of active software.

Get the database stuff configured right.

Test everything and make it work.

Configure local look and feel.

Eventually we will want to move this to Arun's server for disk space
but it was easier for me to just go ahead and set up the work space on
my server for now. Once we get everything figured out it'll be a lot
easier to move it over to any server we want.

As far as getting urbana.indymedia.org to point to the right place we
can do that last of all.

Let me know if anything needs tweaking.

--
Zachary C. Miller - Go We Go - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/ - @=
IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet