[Imc-tech] I have the box under the table

Clinton Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Tue Aug 28 10:03:39 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:30:32PM -0500, Clinton Popetz wrote:
> The x86 box that was under the table in the <insert name of audio
> editing room here> is now at my house, and I'm installing FreeBSD on
> it to use as as file server at the imc.
>
> If I don't run into any problems I'll bring it back tommorow and turn
> it on, but then I am gone until 9/10.

Of course, nothing goes that smoothly.  Either the hard drive has bad
blocks, or it's just finicky, because the FreeBSD installer got
errors writing to it.

I'll investigate further, but this means the box most likely won't be
ready by the end of today, which means it won't be ready until I'm
back from my trip on 9/10.

Also, I won't be at the tech meeting tommorow.  Sorry for being
sporadic; after this next week I'll be pretty stable and able to
attend regularly.

On a better note, does anyone have an internal SCSI ribbon cable?  I
have a spare SCSI card and SCSI tape drive that I could put in this
machine, and then it could be a tape backup server as well.  But I
don't have a ribbon cable.  They are only $5 or so, but I wanted to
see if anyone had one first.

			-Clint