[Imc-tech] host newspoetry @ IMC/groogroo?

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:40:23 CST 2001

Hi, I may be required to move newspoetry.com off of my NCSA machine
due to UIUC policy restrictions.

I'm wondering if it can find a home @ the IMC and/or groogroo.

What I technically would require would be:

- ability to redirect newspoety.com/org to the server (shout.net is
  the DNS server for both domains)
- virtual host support on the web server so that the URLs remain
  "www.newspoetry.com/xxx" and to use np's cgi-bin
- Realserver to support audio/video
- Perl 5.x
- shell account to edit newspoems
- a cron job to generate daily indexes
- (emacs to use my newspoetry emacs macros)

and the shocker:

- 400MB disk space (91MB audio so far, 216MB video so far)

(I could leave the realserver for audio/video @ NCSA and shave off
most of that space requirement).

Alternatively:

Does the IMC have bandwidth and a static IP address I can use for
Newspoetry?  I can configure and provide the hardware; I'd just bring
my Linux machine from home since it's headless and just acts as a
server anyway.  The only reason I don't want to run NP from home is
that if anybody ended up caring, it would be subject to the same
policy restrictions that my machine at NCSA is since it's a
UIUC-supplied ISDN line.  (not sure about this, actually).  Plus my
ISDN line is flaky and has outages that would inconvenience
Newspoetry's 1+-odd users.

Newspoetry is a low-traffic site except that every once and a while
people stream the audio, using 56kb/s for several minutes straight.

(reply to futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu, I'm not subscribed to the list)

Tanx,

--
Joe Futrelle