[Imc-tech] Prioritizing Tech Needs

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri May 4 14:52:44 CDT 2001

I think David's on the money in terms of being careful with the computers
we get.   From what I understand, Prairienet has a hell of a time getting
grants for new computers -- it seems there is a very common perception that
good used computers are easy to get for free and easy to refurb.  This
seems similar to Molly's experience with CLAM.  Additionally, as we, and
folks like CLAM and Priairienet have found, the refurb to usability process
can be slow and frustrating.

The matter here is to do some financial prioritizing, and I think this
prioritizing is larger than just the Tech group.  Peter has asked for a
digital camera, several of us see the need to own a digital camcorder or
two, along with some good computers.  I think we need input from the IMC as
a whole--via a steering group meeting--about what people see as most
important and how much money we're willing to put out.

But right now the used computer thing has been a big time sinkhole, and our
time is valuable and should not be wasted if we can avoid it.

I like the idea of iMacs as our public use stations -- they're quiet,
compact, and relatively easy to maintain.  For other things like DTP,
server, a/v editing, I think we need good, cheap, powerful PCs with basic
interchangeable parts (they could all have the same basic motherboard,
videocard, etc.), that can all run linux or win2k, depending on application.

Perhaps at next Wed's tech meeting we really need to sit down and figure
out what we see as priorities and then present this to the steering group
for discussion.  I volunteer to facilitate this process and put it in motion.

--Paul