[Imc-tech] working computers

michael dean brunelle brunelle at students.uiuc.edu
Mon May 14 12:09:35 CDT 2001

Hey all,

Here's the run down- right now, there are two working public access
stations: one PC (same one that's always been there) and one Mac (the one
that's been sitting there for a couple of days, at least).  They're both
fully functional (although the Mac could use some better software), and I
brought out a second printer from the back for the Mac (but it still needs
some work - esp. a driver :-).

I also succeeded in getting another Compaq to do work - the 75 mHz
pentium with a 2GB HDD and 16MB ram now runs NT 4 (service pack 6 and all
the other updates that I could throw at it).  It also makes a fine public
access station (full office 97 suite, IE 5.5. Opera, and Netscape 6
[slows the thing to a crawl - could use more memory, but none of the
SIMMS in the IMC right now seem to work - I tried them all, I think]),
but for now I tucked it under the current staff computer (which would
make a better public access station). If you want to play with the
Compaq, there are two accounts - imc75 (pw: imc75) and Administrator (pw:
1ndependen+) - this info is also on a post-it tucked in the little
ziplock baggie on the back of the computer).  This computer works fine
through the router.

The remaining working compaq (60mHz, 1GB hdd?, 24MB ram?) is in the back,
awaiting an OS (and a function).  My suggestion - make it the new staff
computer (run Quicken or whatever the staff PC needs), move the current
Staff computer into the Production room (and properly outfit it), and make
that P75 compaq into a public access workstation.

-Mike