[Imc-tech] FW: [Imc-summaries] IMC-Tech Summary For October 23rd

Paul Riismandel p-riism at ntx1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 24 01:18:36 CDT 2001

From: evan at protest.net
To: imc-summaries at indymedia.org
Sent: 10/23/2001 7:52 PM
Subject: [Imc-summaries] IMC-Tech Summary For October 23rd

	Features.cgi update
	Sarai New Mailserver Update
	New Database Server Update
	Donations to imc-tech
	Stallman Hard Crashed After 210 Days
	IMC Video Channel Metadata Syndication

-

Traffic Since Sept 11th
	The traffic on indymedia servers as basically doubled since
	September 11th. Stallman is serving about 250,000 to 300,000
	web pages ever day. Stallman servers about 50 of the 70
	indymedia sites.

Images.indy / Push To Eye Problems
	There have been continuing problems with images and other files
	getting moved over to the loudeye / images.indymedia.org server.
	If you're having problems email akb at indymedia.org very nicely
	explaining when you're having the problem and provide url's
	as examples.

Active Rewrites Discussion
	The mid-west US regional Indymedia gathering produced a list of
	features they'd like from software from the techies. This
	discussion then evolved in to a broader discussion of some of
the
	alternate rewrites of active for indymedia sites.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005645.h
tml

WinSCP for secure ftp
	Just a reminder, if you're using windows you should be using
	winSCP to transfer files and not ftp. http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/
In
	general you if you haven't already, you need to read the
document
	on using ftp and the stallman server.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-September/005364
.html

IMC Hosting
	With stallman being overloaded there has been discussions about
	how to setup servers at other locations to take the load off of
	stallman.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005568.h
tml

Java and Free Software
	There has been a huge discussion about the meaning of free
	software and how that applies to imc's using java. Whether or
not
	php4 is free. It's important that we discuss information
politics
	and how they related to creating functional technology. It's
worth
	a read if you're interested in learning more about indymedia and
	free software.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005559.h
tml

PGP, Keys, Encrypted & Secure Email
	With some of the imc-techies receiving their snail mail opened
we
	become more concerned with secure email and communication.
People
	are learning how to use pgp and there is work to setup a keyring
	so you can easily find other people's public keys.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005660.h
tml

Experimental Indymedia Search Engine
	There is a new experimental search engine for indymedia sites.
It
	doesn't search all the sites yet, but it's a nice new
development.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005641.h
tml
	http://blackcat.linefeed.org/s.cgi

Active XML-RPC 0.9.3 Released
	It has improved loudeye mirroring support, new optional user
	authentication and user profiles system and a new search engine.
	http://idanso.dyndns.org:81/Active/

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005632.h
tml

Article & Comments Statistics
	Kevin from Vancouver has written a new script that generates
	stats about article and comment postings for a site over time.
	http://vancouver.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6270

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005675.h
tml

Mir Update
	There has been plenty of progress on the mir project.
	* New internationalization code
	* Media infrastructure is finished
	* The config file parsing is now going to be xml based.
	* Working on improving error handling
	* The Netherlands indymedia site launched using mir
	* Mir is getting closer to 1.0.
	http://mir.indymedia.de/

Features.cgi Update
	Guy from San Diego IMC has fixed a bunch of bugs in
features.cgi.
	They update features.cgi so the version in CVS will work. It
	hasn't quite been checked in, but you can download the patch
with
	instructions if you want to upgrade your features.cgi. It
doesn't
	quite have the working support multi-language or categories yet.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005544.h
tml

	There is also an update to the templates to allow direct linking
 	to one feature at a time.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/www-features/2001-October/0022
57.html

Sarai New Mailserver Update
	The new mailserver is online and is in the in the early stages
of
	being setup to move off of turtle. If you want to help email
	imc-sysadmin as we always need sysadmin help. :)

New Database Server Update
	Micah is moving forward with purchasing the new database server,
	as imc-tech agreed to back in April. The new ram for Stallman
will
	be purchased in the same order.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005669.h
tml

Donations to IMC-Tech
	We've received $200 in donations from the donate page that is
	displayed when apache is overloaded and squid shows the error
page.

Stallman Hard Crashed After 210 Days
	After being on and working for 210 days Stallman lost power and
	had to be hard rebooted. Despite our problems with apache and
	the site, this is decent uptime.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005619.h
tml

IMC Video Channel Metadata Syndication
	Akb has added a new function to active to generate xml files
	describing the real video files. This will let the imc video
	tv channel work with sites not on stallman.

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2001-October/005583.h
tml

regular summaries of their activities!