[Imc-tech] linux for desktop

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 21 12:14:23 CDT 2001

Some of you geeks may already have seen this link on slashdot today, but
for the rest of you, here's a good overview of using Linux as a desktop OS
vs. Win2k:  http://www.robval.com/linux/desktop/index.asp

The tech group had a spirited discussion about the wisdom and merit of
continuing to use Win9x for our public access machines, and we sort of
defaulted to Win9x mostly because users (which includes the general public,
IMC staff and volunteers) aren't familiar with Linux, and tend to screw up
the machines by not shutting them down correctly.

However, it should be noted that only a small group attends tech meetings
these days, with hard-core linux heads in the minority.

Food for thought...

--Paul