[Imc-tech] imc tech notes 4-24-02

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 24 20:33:28 CDT 2002

imc tech 4.24.02
Present: Clint, Brian, Dan L., Paul R (noting)

Features.cgi
============
Dan says that the features.cgi that allows non-techies to post features to
the ucimc website will be up and running in 2 weeks or so.  Needs mysql,
which he now has access to on groogroo.

Global IMC now has features from local sites instead of a conventional
newswire.  We're not sure how it works, so we're not sure how to get ucimc's
features in it.  It's an rss based feed, we think it might have to do with
features.cgi.  We'll find out when that cgi is working.

Replacing Broken/Lost Equip
===========================
Cope broke an MD and gave us a replacement that she had. Unfortunately this
model (MZ-R 500) doesn't have a microphone input, just a line input, which
produces bad quality audio when used with a microphone.

We discussed a draft policy for replacing broken/lost equipment:

When equipment is broken or lost while doing a project for an IMC working
group:
-the working group in question has to affirm that the borrower was working
on one of its projects
-the borrower is not personally liable
-We will ask for the borrower and/or working group to voluntarily help
replace or repair the equipment

When equipment is broken or lost (but not while working on an IMC working
group project):
-the borrower is liable for repair or replacement of the equipment
-IMC Tech will work out terms with the borrower
-in general, the borrower is liable for 1/2 the original cost of the item to
be applied to repair or replacement.  This takes into account the effect of
wear and tear on eventual breakage and overall equipment devaluation.
-liability may be greater for more expensive, hard-to-repair/replace
equipment (such as a new camcorder).

Create a equipment replacement fund
-ask for voluntary donations to this fund, especially from frequent
borrowers
-suggested donation of $10 per year
-fund will help offset inevitable repair and replacement costs

Tech will write this up as a more formal policy and ask Radio News to review
it, since they are the most frequently borrowers of the equipment.  Will ask
Steering to review the final policy agreed upon by both groups.