[Imc-tech] Tech Group Notes 14 August

mlehman mlehman at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 14 18:33:28 CDT 2002

imc tech 8-14-02
present: el clinto, mike l., dan l., brian h., paul r., david g.

SPAM & Dada
Clint says he can't figure out the feature system.  It seems to work either of
two ways,
users vote on stories and they show up as features or editors vote on stories
that show up on features.  Right now it seems like editors voting doesn't
work.  The
user vote system is abuseable, though it would take a little bit of work.

Dada uses a user/password system.  The system is totally open, but it makes it
harder to spam
since a spammer would have to register multiple user names.

Nothing is foolproof, it's just a matter of how hard we make it.

As far as Clint can tell there's no way that you can manually post features,
though
you can set the threshold as high as you want.  With user feature choice
editors
can trump, but can't push it on.  Clint is not familiar enough with the source
code to fell confident in hacking in a manual feature publish system.

Clint wishes that the bug releases would be released by the author, since he
has
exclusive access to him -- they're not yet in CVS.  Clint can e-mail the
development list to see if there's a fix for the features.

Mike notes that a lot of places now have multiple newswires, which Dada has
implemented.
Editors promote articles to the various categories, so you can leave spam in
the open
newswire, 'at the bottom.'  Clint notes that a spammer can still render the
open newswire
unusable since there's so much to pick through.

Clint thinks he can have Dada up two weeks from today.

Things will remain as they have been until Dada arrives -- we will continue
logging IPs and auto-hiding all posts to the newswire, unhiding stories that
are not SPAM.  We will end logging when Dada goes up.  Buy Clint beer to
encourage
his productivity.

Mike Lehman