[Imc-tech] Re: /var/www/imc

Daniel S. Lewart d-lewart at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 21 01:35:15 CST 2002

Zach,

> > I would like to remove /var/www/imc.  It hasn't been touched for
> > five months and it's wasting 170MB.  I await your okay.

> That's fine with some caveats:

> You should create a donate/thanks.html thingy in our current web
> directory. This is where people get forwarded to when they use paypal
> to give us money. Right now they get sent to a 404 page which sucks.

Wow.  I moved /var/www/imc/donate to /var/www/urbana/donate .

> There are useful raw postscript and PDF files of the Urbana indymedia
> logo in the "fliers" directory which should be available somewhere on
> our website.

I moved /var/www/imc/fliers to /var/www/urbana/fliers .

> The audio in material/2000/1026 is the very first audio the UC-IMC
> ever produced and should not be lost. It has never really been
> officially publicly published on the web but I've kept it around in
> the hopes that one day we'd have a huge well organized online audio
> archive to put it in.

I moved /var/www/imc/material to /var/www/urbana/material .

> Someday our site should generate a real newswire.rss file so other
> sites can include our headlines. I don't know how to make active do
> this but some other indymedia's do it.

I think it does:
	http://www.ucimc.org/newswire.rss

> Our site should have at least a blank robots.txt to keep errors out of
> the error log.

It does:
	http://www.ucimc.org/robots.txt

> There is a lot of uploaded content in the imc/local/webcast/uploads
> directory. Did you copy that all over to the new tree when you ported?
> Also do we have copies of old features pages available online?

Yes; uploads goes back to Nov 14, 2000.  Probably not.  Paul?

> Anyway it is all backed up. I just feel like once we delete it even if
> there is important stuff on the backups we'll never _remember_ that it
> is there on the backups so let's use this chance to clean through that
> directory and make sure we have all the gems on our website.

Excellent.  I am Cc-ing this to imc-tech to get this on the record.
There is 142MB left in /var/www/imc .  When you get a chance,
please re-review /var/www/imc to make sure it has been de-gemmed.

Thanks!
Dan
d-lewart at uiuc.edu