[Imc-tech] possible new software for library

James R. Jacobs radlib at urbana.indymedia.org
Wed Jul 17 11:10:21 CDT 2002

Hey all,

I've been keeping an eye out for the OpenBook software for use at the IMC
library. Unfortunately, it lloks like that software project has been
disbanded--at least I haven't heard anything for months. However, I just
came across a new piece of software that might help out the library. It's
called thokbook (http://thokbook.sourceforge.net/). It's got an sql
database backend, but instead of entering in all the data for each book,
you scan the book's barcode and the software foes out and gets the
information (author, title, publisher) via a z39.50 server. It's got the
ability to search the database and a circulation function. The drawback is
that a barcode reader is necessary. Anyone know the $$ of a barcode
reader?

I'd like to test the software out if possible. Can someone at tech help me
out with downloading and configuring the software? I'll be free next
week to work on it. In the meantime, I'll try to find a barcode reader. If
anyone HAS one just lying around, please let me know.

thanks.

James

James R. Jacobs
Education & Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
radlib at ucimc.org
http:radicallibrarian.org
http://ucimc.org/library

Physical separateness can never be overcome by electronics,
but only by "conviviality", by "living together" in the most
literal physical sense. The physically divided are also the
conquered and the Controlled. "True desires" - erotic,
gustatory, olfactory, musical, aesthetic, psychic, & spiritual
- are best attained in a context of freedom of self and other
in physical proximity & mutual aid. Everything else is at best
a sort of representation. -- Hakim Bey

Information is the currency of democracy. -- Thomas Jefferson

   (\
  {|||8-
   (/