[Imc-tech] imsahp renewal

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Sat Mar 2 03:04:32 CST 2002

If you were wondering what all the downtime has been about I've just
been majorly overhauling my server.

1) It crashed with weird memory errors yesterday and has had a few
other random crashes in the last few weeks. So I thought maybe it has
bad memory and while I was out on an errand I bought a new 256MB DIMM.

2) I ran a VERY thoughough memory test (the test took about 30 minutes
to complete) which revealed there in fact was nothing wrong with the
computer.

3) So hey now I have an extra 256MB in the server for a total of
640MB. That'll make sound editting more fun for me.

4) When I installed the new memory I found that there was an infinity
of dust in the chasis. So I vacuumed it out completely (took out each
card and each fan and filter). I'm thinking that the dust build up
(which may have led to heat build up) has been part of the problem.

5) I upgraded over 500 software packages so we are running all the
latest security patches (including PHP) and what such.

Anyway no one needs to care about any of this I just felt the need to
report my work to someone. :)