[Imc-tech] tech notes 5-8-02

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed May 8 21:42:21 CDT 2002

IMC-Tech, 5/8/02
Present: Paul R., Brian, Clint

Equipment missing and misplaced after DC is being dealt with -- one
returned MD wasn't even ours.

One MD has been sent to Palestine to our new stringer, per request by Radio
News and Steering.

Paul K. e-mailed that two of his mics loaned to IMC are broken, he's having
them repaired at CV Lloyd's. He's asked that Tech pay for the
repair.  We're not sure what the damage is, how it happened, or how much it
will cost.  But in principle are willing to pay some portion of the
cost.  Clint will ask Paul what the estimate on the repair is.

This brings up the issue of liability for damage or loss to equipment on
loan.  We don't have a good inventory of equipment on loan, who it's from
and what uses are permitted.  There's general agreement that it's something
we should keep track of.  Equipment loans were started in the early days of
IMC when we were still small group, so there's no real working policy on
it.  Paul suggests a standard agreement form where the loaner can check off
the terms of the loan (can it be checked out to members? When does the loan
end? etc.).  There is also general agreement that anyone loaning equipment
to the IMC has to assume some reasonable degree of risk. Paul will write a
draft form.

Cope exchanged the microphone-incapable replacement MD for one that will
take a microphone.  We have it and all is now well.

MoJo's hard drive is 2 GB away from being completely full, which will mean
that the ability to do new production on that machine will soon stop
completely until space is cleared.  We will ask the Radio News group to
delete and backup, if necessary, old files that don't need to be sitting on
MoJo.  We ask that this be done by May 22 at 6:00 PM.  Enough files need to
be cleared to leave at least 40% of the disk space free.  If this isn't
true by the deadline, then we'll start deleting files, starting with the
oldest first, until 40% is free.  We will not be backing up these
files.  Windows deals very poorly with full hard disks, not to mention that
a full disk means nobody else can do new production.  After this hard drive
cleanup is finished, Tech will change the account limits so that the drive
can't be completely filled.