[Imc-tech] Tech issues & Dada IMC.

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed May 29 11:55:03 CDT 2002

Hi Jim,

Hello from Urbana-Champaign IMC.  I saw your post (
http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-tech/2002-May/008561.html )
asking for tech support and offering a place to stay in San Diego.  While

One possible solution that may help San Diego IMC with tech issues would
be to upgrade your site to Dada-IMC software.  We have a good deal of
knowledge and expertise here at UCIMC, but Active has really taxed even
our own resources.  Our tech-heads have been looking over the Dada-IMC
code over the last couple weeks (and I believe we're going to start the
transition to it after tonight's meeting).

Basically, Dada-IMC would be much easier for your group to use and
maintain and may offer a better long-term solution for SD IMC.  Attached
is the announcement.

In Solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath
Urbana-Champaign IMC

***

Announcing the long-awaited (well, by some anyway) release of the
dadaIMC codebase for running an IMC site!

Version .93 is production-ready, with usage documentation, web-based
installer script, and step-by-step installation instructions.

The software is available immediately at
http://www.dadatypo.com/dadaIMC/.
Or see it in action at: http://baltimore.indymedia.org/.

Highlights of dadaIMC
---------------------
1) Object-oriented PHP base
2) MySQL backend
3) Two-level Article and media categorization
4) User-based ratings system
5) Built-in intelligent caching system
6) Separate gallery for images,audio,video
7) User accounts that allow for later article editing
8) Clean and easy Editorial Administration
9) A search engine that works well(!)
10) Customizable via web interface and complete stylesheet support
11) Modular design for extensibility
12) Built-in help system

...and many other features (see
http://www.bandwidthcoop.org/imc/tech/DadaIMC for a more complete
feature set).

dadaIMC is currently released under a license that does not permit
redistribution of the code, and it is not stored in a
publicly-accessible CVS repository. Full developer documentation will be
available in the next release, and as development efforts evolve a more
collaborative environment will be established.

Bug reports and feature requests may be submitted through the Bugzilla
interface at http://www.dadatypo.com/dadaIMC/bugs/. I would especially
be interested in communicating anyone interested in developing a
conversion routine for existing IMCs running Active or some other
codebase, should that prove desirable.

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
spud.