[Imc-tech] cool networking stuff

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Mon Oct 7 11:58:28 CDT 2002

> Zach -- what's the other ISP, and what's the bandwidth?

I am a beta tester for a commercial wireless ISP called volo.net. It
is run by Peter Folk who works with the CU Wireless Group from time to
time.

I am currently getting 300kbps downlink and 80kbps downlink (compared
to 150 up and 30 down on my DSL) over this ISP. Peter tells me that in
the future this could go up 5-fold as he acquires more bandwidth and
changes the limits on his routers.

I am taking a very slow and cautious approach to moving IMC or other
hosted services over to this link because this company is brand new
and untested and I am a beta tester so the quality of my link could
change as software is changed.

If this pans out though this'll be a major boon for broadband
applications on IMC/groogroo.

Right now I am stress testing the wireless link by running a P2P file
sharing client on it. This shouldn't affect the web hosting side of
things at all. If it does, let me know.