[Imc-tech] Re: [IMC-Process] RE: the urbana-champagne IMC

safe dropbox safedropbox at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 16:40:35 CDT 2002

Regarding the "extremist ideology" and the IMC ethos -- when does prejudice and racism become intolerable within the IMC volunteer community? Should there be an expectation that "extremism" would preclude an "extremists" participation in the Indymedia project?
To use a neutral example, would a self-declared white supremacist be allowed to participate in the local IMC if said individual agreed to abide by the "rules of conduct"? Furthermore, would said individual be allowed to "troll" the boards and post opinions as an IMC volunteer without restriction?
Finally, are their any safeguards in place to prevent deceptive individuals from "tainting" local IMCs with alternative agendas? I ask because the intense concern expressed by many regarding the possible negative influence of a FF grant -- isn't the threat of subversive influence by deliberately disingenuous volunteers just as real?
-anon
 "gekked at blackflag.net" wrote: > > the Dan speak of our banned Dan. If this person is
> > really hoping to help
> > rekindle the IMCP, there's going to be serious
> > trouble for the IMCP, since
> > I really doubt he could (if it is the same person)
> > work with IMC-Israel
> > peacefully.
> > brian

Apologies for a late response, but I do feel a need to impart
institutional memory on this discussion, especially the other
comments regarding "extremist ideology" at Palestine IMC.

All participants in Palestine IMC that I know, on both sides of the
current argument, from the inception of the IMC until now, agree that
co-operation between Israel IMC and Palestine IMC is something that
might only happen sometime in the future, after serious consideration,
and at the discretion of the Palestinian Indymedia.

The exceptions are:
1) AIC is a joint Israeli-Palestinian project. However, their
organization specifically is separate from Palestine Indymedia.

2) Members of Israel IMC have expressed a belief that co-operation is
needed and desired. All of them I have spoken with also agree that it
should be up to the Palestinian IMC members.

3) I have heard rumors about a third IMC in the region which would be
specifically Israeli-Palestinian co-operation. I have not heard much
more about this, though.

I don't think it is appropriate for you to throw around the idea that
participants in Israel or Palestine IMC must agree in co-operation.
There have been lengthy discussions about this, dynamics of racism
between Israelis and Palestinians and dynamics of occupation/war.

Aside from stating that, I just wanted to go on record with my
understanding of this issue as it has developed over the past 6-7
months.
-gek/sf-imc