[Imc-tech] new to the area

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Wed Apr 16 15:56:28 CDT 2003

Colleen Cook wrote:
> I am new to the Champaign area, and I read about your organization
> online. I am interesting in joining. I could not tell whether your
> organization is only for students or whether anyone can join. My
> background is in filmmaking, and I am interested in your tech
> group. Can someone please email me and let me know who I should
> contact for more information. I can be reached at
> colleencook7 at hotmail.com. Thank you for your time. I look forward to
> hearing from you.

Welcome to town Colleen! Our space is indeed open to all community
members of Champaign-Urbana. I'd even guess that at least half of our
members are not students.

I am Cc'ing this note to the newly forming Video Group, as a film
maker you'll probably be very interested in their work which includes
both the production of film, the airing of video on Urbana Public
Access TV (I believe this is at 8pm on UPTV), and the hosting of film
events at the IMC (upcoming events include April 23rd Overlooked and
Underground Movie Night 7pm-11pm, and April 26th 1pm, An Afternoon of
Activist Videos). Video people can tell you when their next meeting is.

The tech group does not currently have any meetings scheduled since we
do most of our coordinating online. What kinds of tech work might you
be interested in? Web design, A/V production stuff, system
administration (Unix? Windows? Mac?), network/LAN administration,
community wireless networking?  What kind of tech experience do you
have (you don't need experience to be involved, there are many
opportunities to get trained to do things you are interested in).

You can become a member of the IMC by stopping in during any open
hours. Our latest listing of staff hours is here:
http://lists.cu.groogroo.com/mailman/archive/imc/2003-March/003777.html

You can join the video group mailing list here:

You can join the tech group mailing list here:

You can join the general IMC discussion list here:

You can join the IMC events announcement list here: