[Imc-tech] Re: [Imsahp-users] network update

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Tue Aug 5 15:24:03 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 03:17:39PM -0500, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Well we just found out there is a short on my voice line. Currently
> determining if it is a short in my house or on Ameritech's end so that
> I don't have to pay $70 for the technicians visit. There is a theory
> that the short on the voice line is causing problems on the data line.

That would definitely do it.  In fact, in my former life of
designing/building/debugging DSL routers, we ran into that very
problem.  Crosstalk noise goes through the roof when a neighboring
pair shorts, causing the SDL modem chip (at least in the case of the
CNX bitpump, which is what's used in models) to think the line has
dropped and try to retrain (if the short lasts long enough.)  A
retrain can definitely last long enough to cause ssh connections to
timeout, depending on if it's trying to autobaud.

				-Clint