[Imc-tech] voice line fixed, DSL still hosed

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Sun Aug 10 13:58:51 CDT 2003

Josh, just so you know, Ameritech claims to have fixed the shorting on
my voice line and it has made absolutely no difference in the
situation with my DSL. The DSL still goes down every 4-8 hours and
stays down until I reboot the router. Going down is always preceeded
by a 1-10 minute period of increasing packet loss.

Isn't there some setting in the router's config that would let the
router deal with this situation? I mean it's clear that immediately
after whatever situation causes the outage the _line_ is fine because
a reboot always brings things back up to full 100% quality with no
packet loss. I don't have to wait for the trouble to clear up before I
reboot, if I happen to be sitting here and notice it an immediate
reboot is effective.

So can't the software detect that it isn't connected and just do an
immediate internal reconnect of some sort. I mean even if there is a
problem with the line, in this case, smart software should be able to
deal with it.

Just a thought. I will call on Monday about all this.