[Imc-tech] Software prices

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Fri Feb 7 13:53:49 CST 2003

Greetings,

	I have been researching how to get copies of SoundForge, the
noise reduction plugin, and Vegas (in place of Acid) for the IMC.  We
own none of this software, and it's a critical part of how we produce
radio news.

	Sonic Foundry allows non-profits to qualify for their academic
site license pricing.  The quote I have from the people at academic
superstore is:

	5 copies of SF 6.0: 	$90/each -> $450
	5 copies of NR plugin:  $61/each -> $305
	5 copies of Vegas: 	$90/each -> $450
					    ----
					    $1205

That's probably seems large :)  But buying just _one_ copy of each at
non-academic pricing totals $1100.  We need at least two (we now have
three audio editing machines plus my laptop plus sergei), and you have
to buy five to get the discount.  You can't use the same copy on two
machines, because these programs use internet registration.

So.  We could probably do without Vegas, and continue using Acid 2.0
on mojo only.  That would mean $900 for software.  I'm wondering if
anyone is willing to help me foot the bill of buying this software.
I'm at the point where I'm willing to spend two months of my salary in
order to allow me to have multiple workstations with the same software
running on them, for teaching and consistency purposes.

For instance, today I'm helping Janet Lowry learn Sound Forge, but
mojo is in use, so she's using the SF 4.5 installation on Zach's
laptop, which doesn't have the noise reduction plugin, which is one of
things I was planning to show her how to use...can you sense my
frustration?

Anyway.  Please let me know if you'd like to help me offset the cost
of buying this software.

			-Clint

--
Clint Popetz  		         Home:  217-398-4186
  Urbana-Champaign               IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center     Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator	 USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820