[Imc-tech] advice on Win2K and audio?

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 22 13:04:20 CST 2003

A couple other ideas (I'm on a WinXP box at work, so beware!)

Have you tried the Troubleshooter on any of the sound devices/drivers?

Anyhow, it sounds like a DMA conflict to me.  First thing to check:
Start up the Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del or by right clicking on the
desktop tray.  Check for any applications that are using a lot of CPU,
like perhaps virus scanning software.

If not that, try going to Control Panel->Sound->Audio->Advanced.  Mess
around with audio acceleration, which may help if the software takes
advantage of the driver.

If not that, check out System->Hardware->Device Manager and look for any
flags of conflicts and such, especially between the IDE controller and the
sound card.

If you don't see any, next try disabling DMA usage, or if DMA *is* disabled,
try enabling it.

Paul Riismandel writes:
> Is the sound card a PCI card?
>
> Check to see what other apps might be running in the background.  Real
> Audio and Winamp both install agents that run all the time that can
> screw up audio.
>

> --Paul
>
> Joe Futrelle wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have a question for all the Windoze audio heads out there.  The
> > other day I upgraded Bethany's audio machine (a no-brand 1Ghz Athlon
> > beast) to Win2K and at the same time added a 100GB hard drive and a
> > new CD drive.  I reinstalled all her audio apps and got the latest
> > driver for my soundcard (a Hercules Game Theater XP).  Now the system
> > is much more stable than it was under Win98, but the audio stutters in
> > all the audio applications any time the disk is running.  My question
> > is this: do I likely need
> >
> > 1) a new soundcard, with a better driver
> > 2) a new EIDE controller, or
> > 3) some tweaking in software, or
> > 4) a bottomless pit to throw the old machine down, and a whole new
> > machine?
> >
> > I could use any and all ideas and advice.  Bethany's dissertation
> > deadline is bearing down on us, and her music all sssssounnnnnddssss
> > likkke thhhhhiissssss.

Arun Bhalla