[Imc-tech] Request for information for IMC research

Richard E. Templin rtemplin at flaflcio.org
Tue Jul 8 13:04:09 CDT 2003

Fellow members of the IMC Community,

Greetings,

We are working on a research project that examines the internet traffic
patterns of IndyMedia Sites.  Historically, research on audience uses of
alternative media has been very difficult because it is hard to find
large numbers of people who read 'zines or who listen to micro radio.
The Internet offers some great data to give us a broad description of
the way people are using IndyMedia websites.

Here in Tallahassee, the Tallahassee-Redhills Independent Media Center
has posted a traffic report:
http://tallahassee.indymedia.org/logs/Report.html.

We are interested in collecting similar reports from IMC's worldwide.
If you have a server report covering the dates of 1/1/03 to 6/1/03,
please send us a link and/or an email with the report attached.  If you
do not have one and would like to get one, email us and we will try to
help you run a similar server report.

Our goals with this research are to examine IMC traffic patterns over
the course of the Iraq War.  We will post the results of our research
and share the findings with the IMC community.  This type of research is
critical if our movement is to continue to grow so we hope we can count
on your support.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Andy Opel, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

340 Diffenbaugh Hall

Department of Communication

Florida State University

Tallahassee, FL 32306

850-644-8768

Rich Templin

Doctoral Candidate

templin at workingfamilies.com

Andy Opel has written about Micro Radio and the emerging Media Activism
Movement.  He is currently editing a book, "Representing Resistance:
Media, Civil Disobedience and the Global Justice Movement" due out in
October by Greenwood Press.

Rich Templin is a doctoral candidate researching alternative media.  He
is a founding member of the Tallahassee-Redhills IMC and is currently
the Communications Director of the Florida AFL-CIO.