[Imc-tech] the long dark night is over

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Fri Jul 25 19:34:15 CDT 2003

For the last several months the groogroo server imsahp which hosts
many local sites including the IMC's website has been running with a
flaky router. I finally got a new functional router from soltec
today. Periodic network downtimes should be a thing of the past.

Last night there was 3-5% packet loss to everywhere, now there is none
at all to anywhere.

As far as I can tell almost all of the connection drop and weird speed
issues have been resolved except for one. Traffic to and from UIUCnet
(or at least to NCSA machines on UIUCnet, haven't confirmed whether or
not other UIUC machines have the problem) is still very flaky (every
45 seconds or so there is a 4-10 second hang all the time). This is a
known issue (for over a month) with the university CITES network
admins. This is not soltec's fault and it is not a problem with my
server. It is frustrating.

Please let me know if you can confirm an ongoing speed problem with
interactive connections between imsahp and UIUCnet machines that
aren't NCSA machines. Please let me know if you are having network
speed or reliability problems from elsewhere to imsahp.

Thanks!