[Imc-tech] laser printer:

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Sat Mar 29 10:46:27 CST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:11:49PM -0600, Brian Hagy wrote:
> i thought the imc was supposed to be transparent, and that we weren't
> going to be really hiding passwords and such, that they would be written
> down (so that if those who know them leave the scene, we're not stuck).
> did this change without notice?

Transparency does not imply an intentional lack of security.  Writing
down passwords is a bad idea.  Bad idea.  Bad idea.  After spending
months getting dewey et al barely working, I'd rather not sacrifice
that by having someone log in and mess with things.  There are three
people who have access to configure dewey via their logons and sudo:
Me, Zach, and Arun.  All three live in town, all three have phones,
and all three have extensive experience with unix.  That seems like
more than enough redundancy to me.

			-Clint