[Imc-tech] status of IMC server

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Tue Dec 21 02:59:59 CST 2004

Sol Tec, the UC-IMC's ISP, is canceling all DSL service at the end of
the month. This affects the UC-IMC webserver, internet access at the
IMC itself, and internet access for CU Wireless Network users.

I am working with Sol Tec, McLeod, and OJC Technologies to form a
transition plan for our web server, the IMC, and CU Wireless Network
but, because of the VERY short notice given by Sol Tec about their DSL
discontinuation, there will be SOME outages of services over the next
2 weeks. I can not yet predict when they will happen or how long they
will last but as soon as I have all the info I need to make a final
transition plan I will let everyone know.

Sol Tec has already, 10 days ahead of schedule, turned off the DSL
service at Arun's house where our secondary DNS server was
housed. This means that until I get DNS services transfered to another
server that access to IMC hosted websites might be slightly flaky.

It also means that even though we suspect we have until Dec 30th to
find new connectivity for our webserver that the DSL line could be
unexpectedly dropped at any time, like Arun's was. If this happens
we'll do the best we can to get services back up.

If everything goes according to plan we should have no more than 12
hours of total down time (all at once) over the next 2 weeks. If
things go very badly (i.e. Sol Tec shuts down the line before Dec 30)
we may have a few days of downtime. Please plan accordingly.

When this whole ordeal is over, the chambana.net/ucimc server will be
on a MUCH faster connection with a redundant backup from a different
vendor so that we are never caught in this predicament again.

I will keep everyone posted and hopefully the transition will be
smooth. I just don't want it to be a surprise if suddenly ucimc.org
and other IMC/groogroo/chambana.net hosted websites go dark for a day
or two.