[Imc-tech] more help with library catalog

Radical Librarian radicallibrarian at hellokitty.com
Wed Jun 16 21:33:01 CDT 2004

OK I'm having yet another problem with the IMC library catalog. I actually don't know how long it has been going on as I really don't do many searchs and when I update it I haven't done extensive testing usually just subject and author, which I've know discovered are the only two searchs that actually work. I am quite certain that I have done a title search in the past so I know that it worked at some point. At anyrate, if you were to do a search using the web form it would return just a blank screen. When I ran the ./mserach.cgi title=low hug from the command line I got this error:

Subroutine Cwd::fastcwd redefined at /usr/lib/perl/5.8/XSLoader.pm line 91.

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./msearch.cgi line 44.
Sprite Error:

>> A severe error! Check your query carefully.

And of course I don't really know what it means, because I know just enough to be dangerous.

Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. For the time being I commented out the fields on the web form that are not working, on the off chance that anyone is actually using the catalog.

Ellen
your frienly radical librarian

PS I am still interested in turning this catalog in to a proper MySQL database rather than using Sprite, which I have no love for, though it has served at the catalog for well over 2 years now, cos I got tired of waiting for someone to create a database.

After Dan mentioned a MySQL database might be something the tech group could do at a work party I did try to get in touch with the last person who was working on a MySQL database, Paul King, to see if the work he's done could be handed over to someone, but I haven't heard back from him.

Now I'm really done.
EK