[Imc-tech] The Many Jack Ryans and Ratings

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 08:49:56 CDT 2004

Sascha,
Thanks for turning off ratings as an emergency measure regarding recent widespread abuse. I don't know if it's possible, but is there a setting that allows only registered users to rate articles? If so, could you change the rating setting to that? We'll review this Thursday.

Just some brief background...I have now identified about a dozen nyms as being related to Jack Ryan Syndrome. In F2F discussions last night with several other IMCistas. I laid out the facts. I will let _the_ jerk, since it is just one person who seems to constitute 99% of such postings, have a little more rope to hang himself with this morning. Then I will probably invoke the more strict interpretation of the website use policies already adopted for Jack Ryan to his many other nyms, i.e. any post that contains invective will be hidden.

I will lay the facts out at Thursday's Steering meeting, where I suspect others will tend to agree that this paradigm is supportable based on a liberal interpreation of existing policies, pending a few slight revisions to explicitly deal with Ryan's abusive practice of sniping. At this time, I will not be advocating a ban on jack and his multi-nyms, however.
Mike Lehman