[Imc-tech] Windows 2000 PC in front room

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Wed May 19 10:18:28 CDT 2004

Mike Lehman wrote:
> As for the person to whom you refer, no, she never came to terms with
> us. She thought it was we who had problems trusting people who were the
> problem (or some similar flight from reality)...

Well, actually, she did return long enough to pay for the shirt. She
hasn't been back since.

> > Questions:
> > 1) What are its CPU and memory?
> > 2) Who maintains it?
> > 3) Is the problem insufficient memory, or viruses/worms?
> > 4) How is it updated?

That machine should be well protected from viruses now that I put a
virus scanner on it. I wonder what is killing it. It doesn't have much
memory or CPU power but it has never had a problem with web browsing
before. I last used that computer a week ago and it was working fine,
totally up to date with security updates. The computer is not actively
maintained, from time to time I go in and fix up the windows machines,
Clint has done so in the past also, but there's no schedule to it.

> > I'd like to burn a Knoppix CD and give people the option to use it:
> > 	http://www.knoppix.net/
> > I assume DHCP will be okay and it will work fine. :)

DHCP is configured and will work fine. This is a good idea but I don't
know of any way to keep it from getting stolen. I doubt anyone would
steal it on purpose but I could see someone accidentally walking off
with it. Maybe if you just label it well with "This must remain at the
IMC" or somesuch then people who take it will remember to return
it. CD's are cheap enough to re-burn so it's worth experimenting with
to see if people can handle keeping track of it.