[IMC-Tech] Re: [Imc-staff] New York Times Syndicate--trademark infringement

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 14:20:26 CST 2005

Hi Mr. Wren,
I see that you've posted a story to clarify this.
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/108593/index.php
I hope that this will satisfy your concerns about the archived post.

Among the other things I do, I am an intelligence historian working on
my doctorate here at UIUC. I actually think leaving the post as it is
for now better serves everyone's concerns. Leaving it makes it
relatively easy to find out of Ivany cites it on line in the future. You
have a known target, the original post, to watch. If he cites it, then
this will also provide you with evidence that makes it worthy of our
considering editing that you could supply to us.

I would support editing of the post with that kind of evidence and would
argue that we should edit it under those circumstances, although I am
only one of a number of people that would have to agree on this course
of action for it to happen.

I guess this all goes back to what you said in an earlier email:
"We have no problem with citations from his reviews attributed to him or
to "John Shelton Ivany's Top 21," because such citations are accurate."

As far as I can see, this is pretty much the situation with the existing
text. Unless there is other evidence that he is fraudulently using this
info in some way, it will be very difficult to make the case internally
here that we should edit the posting. We operate under both consensus
and a rather strict policy on editing anything without the author's
consent, so a substantive case has to be made. While I understand that
your problem with the post in question may be what seems to be -- based
on what you've told us -- Ivany's exaggerated claims to syndication,
this is so non-specific that we are far more comfortable with simply
letting people judge for themselves based on the best info we can
provide. I think your post helps with this, as we're far more
comfortable insititutionally to let people make up their own minds.

Happy holidays,
Mike Lehman