[IMC-Tech] Re: [IMC-Space] Postal Box access

melodye at nitrogendesign.com melodye at nitrogendesign.com
Sun Dec 18 21:17:36 CST 2005

There also was a note left on the front double doors that was found
this morning
(Sunday) that said, "You said you would like help. Please call me (and left a
number)".  What was odd about this was that unless a person has a P.O. Box and
key, how would this person have gotten in sometime between last night (after
the Post Office was closed---and this morning (Sunday) when the Post office is
closed in order to leave this note?  Chris is going to follow up on this.

As for the P.O. Box accessibility, unfortunately anyone who pays for a
P.O. Box
has a key to enter the front doors.  I have a P.O. Box key for
Champaign's main
Post Office which stays unlocked 24hrs to access P.O. Boxes.  My key
also opens
the Urbana P.O.'s front door...go figure ;o}  I say that to say the person who
left both notes don't necessarily have a P.O. Box key for the Urbana site---if
these keys are universal  (at least for Champaign) these folks can belong
anywhere.

Having said that, as the landlords for the IMC perhaps we can ask the
Urbana IMC
P.O. to rekey the front door and give a second key to each person who
has a P.O.
Box at our location ONLY.  At least we can minimize the accessibility
and random
idiots.  Another idea could be for us to invest in one of those
cameras.  Maybe
the P.O. would go in with us since it is their patrons, as well as us, we are
trying to protect.

Finally--we need to make certain we hold someone accountable for locking the
doors.  Staff needs to be copied on all of the activities and the
person who is
taking responsibility for the event/program/class/usage.  I think if
the problem
persists we should charge fines.  That certainly will get folk's attention.

Melodye