[IMC-Tech] Chiapas bound, but anybody free to lend the MD tonight / tomorrow?

Andrew C. Kennis andrewenmexico at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 18:16:12 CST 2005

Hello everybody,

I wrote the e-mail below to the radio list with the hopes of hooking up with someone
who can lend me a MD recorder as I'm going to Chiapas to cover the Zapatistas. But
because I'm leaving to Chicago quickly and then am off Mexico, I was hoping that
perhaps someone from tech could do as much. That'd be great, if at all possible.
Please feel free to e-mail me, or I can be reached @ 355-8818.

Thanks!
--AK

Hello all,

Many of you don't know me, but for those who have been around the UC-IMC for a few
years, some of you may remember that I strung from Palestine for the paper and also
for the then weekly radio show. I mostly worked with Sandra.

Back then, I wasn't a local resident, but these days I'm actually living in
Champaign and am a UIUC grad student. During our winter break, I'll be going to
Chiapas freelancing / covering the Zapatistas for the New Year, where they are
kicking off their "Other Campaign" for 2006. This nation-wide caravan is going to be
the biggest action the Zapatistas have carried out since their much heralded 2001
caravan which resulted in over 100 hundred
political prisoners being freed and seven military bases being
shut down. It attracted well over 2 million people to their
stops and this caravan very well may surpass that.

I'm writing to you folks because it'd be great to get some support from the IMC.
Specifically, I'd like to borrow a MD recorder to grab some raw audio with. I won't
have much time to do editing while down there, but will be more than willing to send
raw files from Chiapas that can be edited by interested folks up here. When I come
back, I'd be more than happy to do a piece with others on the start of this historic
event.

For some more backround info on the Other Campaign, check out a very well-written
article by my friend and long-time correspondent John Ross. It's at:
http://www.counterpunch.org/ross11052005.html

The only wrinkle to all of this is that I'm leaving to Chicago tomorrow (sorry for
the last-second notice!). Thus, assuming the radio collective is interested in this
material, is there anyone available to pass me off the MD soon? That'd be great!

--Andrew