[Imc-tech] An IndyConference Plea

baku at riseup.net baku at riseup.net
Mon Jan 3 14:03:07 CST 2005

Dear Imcistas-

   The Austin Indymedia Collective is becoming increasingly excited about the
prospects of Indyconference.  Collectives from across the nation are coming
down to Austin and we are firming up our speaker and workshop schedule. A brief
sample:  Clemencia Rodriguez will talk about radio as peace builders in Colombia
and Robert Jensen’s talk is entitled “A plea for journalism: Beyond the
objectivity/advocacy debate."

   However, we are still in need of more workshop proposals.  Currently, the
workshops are loosely imagined both in terms of practical workshops, such as
video editing, fundraising, and pirate radio, as well as those that will
encourage dialogue between activists, community organizers, and academics, such
as panels about improving communication between local collectives and the
Indymedia network and encouraging more participation and stronger community
support. We ask that folks contribute to the construction of these workshops.
Please provide a detailed proposal by January 15th in order to finalize a
schedule and receive feedback on the proposals.  Proposals thus far have ranged
from how to deal with the corporate press to using a video camera as a guerrilla
human rights tool to women’s tech; just to give ya’ll an idea.  Please see the
sample workshop proposal form attached, fill out and return.

   The Austin Indymedia Collective would like for each individual IMC to
consider and make effort to help bring folks from underserved communities to
the gathering.  We see two avenues to make this happen: 1) encourage and
provide resources for underserved members of your collective to attend and host
workshops 2) encourage and provide resources for underserved members of your
larger community to attend.

   We will be contacting everyone again soon with more updates and requests that
collectives send us estimates of how many people are coming and what kind of
logistics are necessary.

   Again, thanks for your work.  We hope to see you Austin.  Please, send any
feedback, proposals, concerns, diatribes our way.  And please register!

Thank You.

In Solidarity,

Austin Independent Media Center
indyconference.org