[Imc-tech] The website

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 25 03:23:29 CST 2005

4 or so Apache processes went crazy tonight, sometime after I rebooted
imsahp at 7:10pm.  We noticed the runaway processes around 1am.  Zach
added process ID (PID) logging to the "full" Apache log, so that may
help with diagnosis.  We suspect Dada or PHP or something related to
either, but we don't have any evidence yet.  I suspected my security
patching on 10/25/04 to be responsible for the runaway processes, but
that doesn't seem likely, given the code that was changed.  I tried out
the "patched files" that are available on the dadaimc.org site, but
that breaks our install of Dada when I drop those patched files in place.
Somehow we have newer revisions of those files, so those "patched files"
from dadaimc.org must have been from some previous release of Dada.

While looking over these patches, I noticed that our files called the
ImageCreate() function, when it looked like it should have called
ImageCreateTrueColor().  I changed a couple references, one in
/var/www/ucimc/imc_classes/imc_FunctionLibrary.imc, the other in
imc_Media.imc.  Could someone with editorial powers test out the
change by adding a post to the newswire with some color images,
perhaps a 24-bit (TrueColor) JPEG?  My hope is that the lines I
changed will fix the faded image problem.  It would surely make Darrin
happy.  If it doesn't work, let me know, or someone could change the
ImageCreateTrueColor() function calls back to ImageCreate.  Or simply
roll back using the backup in /var/www/ucimc-20050125.tar.gz.

cheers,
Arun