[Imc-tech] Fw: Re: re poker spam

David Gehrig zemblan at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 10:49:12 CDT 2005

At Zach's request, here is some discussion of what I saw
in My Night At the Databases.

(1) I didn't try to associate the spam with specific IPs; I
agree that there are spambots and blocking a few IPs won't
make any difference in the long run.

(2) IMC articles are stored in a MySQL database called
[you'll figure it out] in a table called "articles."  One of
the columns in that table is the field "deleted"; this is
0 unless the article is marked as deleted, in which case
it goes to 1.

(3) What I did last night was just go into the interactive
MySQL client and issue a bunch of commands of the
form

select authors from articles where authors regexp "poker";

That returns a list of authors who have "poker" in their
names.  I looked over the list to make sure there wasn't
anyone who shouldn't be deleted, and then issued the
command

update articles set deleted = 1 where authors regexp "poker";

That command marks the suckers as deleted.

By doing this for the various buzzwords the spambot
generates, I was able to get 'em.  I didn't keep count, but
I'd estimate it was over a thousand.

One of the tricks the spambot uses is to escape out characters
in the names -- "poker" instead of "poker" --
just to dodge my searches.  Didn't help the spambot any.

(4) Having slept on it -- I'm going to create a new MySQL
user that has DELETE rights on just the database in
question, at which point I'll no longer need root and
will surrender it back to zach.  With that access, and the
MySQL clients I have on other machines, I should be
able to come up with a MySQL script that will automate
what I did.  In the meantime, doing this by hand is
not a big problem.  I will continue to do this so that
other site admins won't have to worry about it.

(5) In the long term, I wonder what would be involved
in upgrading dada, partly to foil the spambot but partly
because some new features are available.  Should I/we
look into it?

@%<