[Imc-tech] security taken care of

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Thu Mar 24 23:03:38 CST 2005

A user account on imsahp was compromised last night. I've spent the
day (with the help of Arun) diagnosing the compromise and we're pretty
confident that the attacker did not gain root access and did not harm
the system. Users should have seen a minimum of downtime today. We've
been combing through the system looking for any backdoors or trojans
installed by the attacker and have so far found none.

Security patches have been applied, complete up to date offline
backups have been made, the Romanian IP subnet of the attacker has
been blocked from server access, and we'll be keeping a close eye on
things for the next few days.

Basically this is an "all clear" message. I just wanted to let
everyone know what the details behind the cryptic "expect downtime"
message I sent earlier was. You no longer need to expect downtime, we
got through the day with just 2 reboots.

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/