[IMC-Tech] Future of Chambana.net Meeting Minutes (11/22/05):

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Nov 22 21:15:06 CST 2005

NEXT MEETING:  Thursday, December 1, 2005 -- 7pm @ IMC.

Future of Chambana.net Meeting Minutes (11/22/05):

Present: Bob I. (Print), Andrew R. (Acorn), Sascha M. (notes; Acorn), Brandon B.
(OJC), Zach M., David G. (Acorn), Tom W. (Acorn), Chris (who's really not
here... really), Jay E. (WEFT), Jay S.

Bob: uses Unix, has minimal website admin skills; interested in supporting IMC
Open Publishing system and moving system to the IMC.

Andrew: with CITES; does Unix system administration and documentation; with
Acorn & multimedia services project.

Tom: involved with CUWiN and Acorn; also admins websites that are already on the
server.

Sascha: with everything... ;) -- extremely interested in building a partnership
with numerous organizations to "take things to the next level."  This is very
opportune for current project that Acorn is working on.

Jay: with WEFT -- interested in ensuring continuity of services.

Dave: does system admin; interested in upgrading our software/applications.

Brandon: with OJC -- interested in support and how to take care of the user
community.  OJC is focused on how to share tech support for a larger network.
Example -- Dreamhost.com -- as a way to create a user community.

Chambana.net Overview (Zach):  Started server back before IMC existed.  Around
2000 opened up server to local community use.  IMC got involved to help make the
project sustainable (the Chambana.net project) -- comes with no service
guarantee and proration only happens after 48hrs downtime.  Catered to people
who already had some Unix knowledge.  Is a community organization that is
sliding scale pricing -- as more and more people have begun using services,
non-experts have become more of the user base.  This non-expert user base is
proving difficult to sustain with a single contact point (Zach).  Zach has plans
for major improvements -- but not the time to implement.

IMC got involved to help maintain the vision for the system (to make it
self-sustainable from end-users).  Always was an idea that there would be an
active synergy among various organizations who would sustain and build the
infrastructure.  Currently, there is roughly $2300 (from Acorn Active Media
Foundation) and $5000 (earmarked for equipment) in the Chambana.net pool.  Zach,
as main admin (and former owner of the equipment) still has personal stuff on
the server and is

Q&A:

Q: What are the future directions for the project?  Back to expert users or more
non-expert users and expanded user base?