[IMC-Tech] Looking for Ubuntu-compatible Wi-Fi Card 802.11b

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 2 11:36:39 CDT 2006

Matt:

First of all, I should have said 802.11b, not 802.11g.

The two cards I have (a 3 Com and a Lucent Orinoco Silver) don't seem to
work at all (even under Windows). One was dropped, the other just seemed to
have died. So it looks like I will need another card.

Thanks for the info.

--Gary

On 8/2/06, Matt Cordial <matt.cordial at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have a non-compatible card lying around you can use an app
> called ndiswrapper to make use of the Windows driver in Linux.
>
> I used this on an old Toshiba laptop running an earlier version of
> Ubuntu. Worked great for me.
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
>
> ~Matt
>
> On 8/2/06, Gary Cziko <g-cziko at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> > Just for fun I tried to install Ubuntu 6.06 on an old Compaq Armada 7400
> > (Pentium II) laptop I have, and it seems to work just fine.
> >
> > So I am now looking for a compatible Wi-Fi 802.11g PC card that would
> allow
> > me to connect it to my home Wi-Fi network.
> >
> > If anyone has a PC Wi-Fi that might work with Ubuntu that they would be
> > willing to give or sell at a good price, please let me know.
> >
> > You can find Ubuntu-compatible Wi-Fi cards at http://tinyurl.com/hu35m
> >
> > --Gary

Gary Cziko
Professor
Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
University of Illinois
1310 S. Sixth Street
210F Education Building
Champaign, IL 61820-6990
USA

Telephone +1-217-333-8527
Fax: +1-217-244-7620
e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Web: http://garycziko.net
Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
Google Talk: gcziko
Amateur Radio: N9MJZ (IRLP 4280; EchoLink 8231);

Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
(http://latinoradioservice.org)

Founder and Major Contributor
ATALL Wikibook for
Autonomous Technology-Assisted Language Learning
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ATALL)